Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentines

This year I took the initiative to plan our Valentines date. I wanted to do something different, so I started searching the web. Since the weather was going to be nice, I thought something with a ferry ride would be fun. The islands are always so beautiful on a sunny day. I looked into Vashon Island and found that a winery was having a wine tasting that night, complete with appetizers and music. How fun!


We got a bit of a late start, so the sun was starting to go down as we were riding across. We headed toward the winery address, but it brought us to a personal residence. Huh? From what we could tell, it was going on in this garage like structure in front of the house. We kept driving, trying to decide what to do. We drove pretty much across the whole island, just taking in the sights and the beautiful scenery. Finally we decided to just head back to the winery and just see what was going down.


Inside the "garage" it was actually pretty nice. They had a bunch of barrels of wine along one wall, then around the room there were lights hung and little tables full of appetizers. In the corner a band was playing, but we knew instantly that we were probably going to be the youngest ones there, as the band of 50+ year olds were playing folk music. There was a list of about 3 white and 7 red wines. We slowly went through all of them, munching appetizers as well and listening to the music. To be honest, by the end I was a bit buzzed. I think that was the second time in my life that I felt dizzy from drinking wine. Jason thought it was funny. So did I, but I was relatively happy overall. We left after a couple hours to head back to the ferry, then enjoyed a nice evening ride back over to West Seattle. Overall it was kind of a funny (not quite what we expected) evening, but it was fun to be together and try something new. Thanks Mom and Dad for babysitting!