Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Golden Birthday!

I turned 27 on March 27th! For those of you who don't know, when you turn the age that your birth date is, it is your Golden Birthday. It is supposed to be a super fabulous, tons of fun, big celebration birthday. Originally, Jason and I talked about going to Palm Springs to get away from the cold, grey weather. I was going to get golden tan on my Golden Birthday. Well, because tickets were just so expensive and Jason started a new job, we weren't able to go. So instead I had planned out 4 days of birthday fun. Thursday night, the 27th, we were going to celebrate at home just the three of us and I was going to make a cake. Friday Jason and I were going to go out to Salty's on Alki Beach for dinner and my parents were going to babysit. Saturday we were going to go mini golfing with my parents, then come back to our house for dinner and dessert. Sunday we were going to go to church together, then go bowling with friends that afternoon. That was the plan anyway. Here's how it went down.

Thursday, March 27th: Jason, the previous day at work, had gotten a small piece of metal in his eye. He thought it would just come out, but early that morning he was in excruciating pain. Since Urgent Care didn't open till 8am and the consulting nurse didn't think they would see him in the ER, he went to work, not wanting to miss a day just a week into the job. That day Taylor and I had Kindermusic, then we went to see Horton Hears a Who. After the movie, we met Jason at the Urgent Care, where they tried and failed to remove the piece of metal. We were sent home with eye ointment and a bottle of Percocet, then told to come back the next day. We grabbed dinner on the way home, then let Taylor sleep in the car while we ate. Jason took two Percocet and was out for the night. Happy Birthday to me.

Friday, March 28th: Jason went to work, then when he got home we headed to the Urgent Care again. The Opthamologist they said would be there was not. Instead the ER Dr tried again to get it out, using a huge needle. I couldn't watch. By the time we got out of there, it was late and Jason was in a lot of pain from them jabbing around in his eye and still not getting all the metal out. We canceled the date night. Jason took two more Percocet, and was once again gone for the night.

Saturday, March 29th: The weather was cold and rainy, so we canceled the mini golfing and decided to just have a game night at our house. Jason, from all the Percocet, was so out of it that he slept a lot of the day. Taylor and I just hung out around the house. That night my parents came over and we enjoyed some Thai food and strawberry cheesecake for dessert. Taylor made it long enough to be in a few of the pictures, then he went to bed before dessert was served. As I was coming downstairs from Taylor's room, I noticed it was SNOWING! Yes, at the end of March. For those not from Seattle, this is not normal. We watched the snow come down for a bit, then toyed with the idea of playing a game but Jason was super tired, so we called it a night.

Sunday, March 30th: Jason's eye was still hurting and bothering him, so he stayed home from church. And last minute a friend invited me to go shopping for some clothes for me (much needed!), so I missed as well. I had a great time picking out a top and some pants; it felt nice to be pampered a bit. Afterward, we met our husbands and Taylor at the bowling alley and bowled a few rounds. I tied the first game, won the second, then fell off to third in the last game. I bowled one of my best games ever, with a score of 145! Taylor enjoyed getting passed around between everyone. After some dessert at their house, we headed home and crashed early.
So that was my fun filled Golden Birthday. I'm thankful, though none of the plans worked out, that I was able to celebrate with the people I love because you can't ask for more than that. And Jason is always finding ways to surprise me, so it's like it is my birthday all year long.