Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Last Few Days

Well, the past 2 days have been quite a whirlwind. At 3:45 am on July 10th, I woke up with some pretty good contractions. I started timing them, and by 5 am I knew that we needed to head to the hospital. By the time we walked out the door at 6 am, contractions were about 3-5 min apart and getting stronger.


We got to Overlake Hospital at 6:20 am, checked in, and then things really got moving. I had decided to try and do things El Naturale, so no epidural, IV, or narcotics. It was very intense, but Jason was awesome and was right by my side the entire time holding my hand, breathing with me, and letting me squeeze his hand as hard as I wanted. :) It was nice to not be stuck in bed, so I did lots of walking around, swaying, sitting in the jacuzzi tub, and rocking in a chair. I had a midwife through it all who was also very helpful and encouraging. I was ready to give up many times ("Show me the drugs!!!!!"), but my support team gave me the strength to make it through.

Then at 12:32 pm, after a very painful 6 hours, Taylor finally arrived! 7 lb 14 oz. Just a bit bigger than we were expecting. :) But he was perfect. 10 fingers and 10 toes, and a nice loud cry. He has been a joy since he arrived. Thankfully a great breast feeder, and very social his first 5 hours.



So now we are just settling in at home and trying to beat Seattle's unusual heat wave. Life has changed so much. It is hard to take it all in. But Jason and I are loving parenthood, and can't wait for all that is to come. Stay tuned for more picts. Thanks to all of you for your prayers and encouragement. We are excited for Taylor to me all our wonderful friends and family.