Thursday, January 10, 2008

6 Months Old!!

Taylor turned 6 months today! Our little boy is getting so big. He had his doctor appointment today as well. Here are the numbers:



Weight: 15 lb 3 oz (12th percentile)

Height: 26.5 inches (56th percentile)

Head Circumference: 16.7 inches (16th percentile)


If you'll notice, his height percentile dropped. Actually, he measured less than he did at 3 months. So, their measuring method is a bit inaccurate. I guess Taylor is not going to be the 6 foot kid that we thought he was going to be. Just average, like his parents. His weight percentile dropped as well, but the doctor said that is normal as he is more active as he gets older. Overall, the appointment went well. The doctor said he definitely looked like a 6 month old.


The only down side to the appointment was 6 month shots. I got him the flu shot as well, so it was a big group of shots. While trying to get Taylor organized in the injection room, the lady got the shots ready. Its seemed like a lot, so I asked how many there were. She said 5, and proceeded to ramble them off, which I half heard since Taylor was wiggling around and getting antsy. He got 5 shots, 3 in one leg, 2 in the other. The lady was there by herself, so there was no one else to help and get them done faster. So each one was painfully long. Poor Taylor just cried harder with each shot and clung tighter to his blanket. When it was all over, I gave him a big hug, then fed him. All was well after that.


When I got home, though, I still wasn't feeling right about him getting so many shots. So I looked over the orders and the information sheets again to see which were individual and which were in the combination vaccine. It was then that I discovered he only should have gotten 4 shots, not 5. I tried to call the Dr office, but the nurse was busy. Racking my brain to remember, I could have sworn the injection nurse said Polio separate, which should have been included in the combination one. So I'm thinking he got two doses of the polio vaccine. Nervous as to what could happen to Taylor, I called the CDC. They confirmed that there would just be increased tenderness at the site, but no other affects to him. That made me feel a little better, but I was still mad that he got an unnecessary shot. I called the DR office again and eventually got transferred to the injection room. I spoke with the person who gave the shots, but she couldn't recall anything. We went over them again and again till she realized that, yes, there should have only been 4. "Maybe there was just an extra band-aid", she said, but there were also 5 marks on his legs. Plus as a mother, I distinctly remember all 5 going in because they were each painful to watch. She finally apologized, called the CDC herself to make double sure that it would be ok, and told me she would file an incident report as I had requested. It's not that I wanted her to get in trouble, but if there is a glitch in the system that allows for errors like that, then there needs to be a change made in the practice somewhere. I was a little happier after she acknowledged my concern as valid, and stopped treating me like a psycho mom. Let's just say it will never happen again, at least to Taylor anyway.